Android currency converter using PureMVC

Android currency converter using PureMVC

I'm working on an Android Froyo application in the goal of better learn Android development while developing a real Android application. It uses PureMVC for Java. I initially have planned to make it public here only when the application would have been pushed on the Android Market. But when I occasionally talk about this project here on my blog and on the PureMVC forums, some folks were really interested and ask me to give some help on how I achieved my PureMVC app development with Android. So today I decided to publish the application in its alpha stage even if it's still not ready.

The application is a currency converter that uses a webservice hosted on my website for several years that deliver currencies rate for 40 currencies with a daily update. Currencies rate are obtained from the European Central Bank. I recently have worked a on the webservice (PHP 5/ MySQL 5) to deliver currencies name in all existing languages supported by Android. I used a Java project based on the IBM International Components for Unicode project to fill the database with the I18N informations I needed.

The Android application itself uses threads, multiple activities, PreferenceActivity, SQLite local storage, Json and a call to a webservice and has unit tests associated to it. So this is what I think to be a good example to start with Android and PureMVC. I will commit its sources to the PureMVC website when it will be committed to the Android market as well.

Continue reading Android currency converter using PureMVC

PureMVC single core for Java

PureMVC single core for Java

As I proposed it recently on the PureMVC forums I took some time today to convert the multicore version of the PureMVC for Java port into a single core version.

I recently had to work with PureMVC Java for an Android application I work for the PureMVC community as an example of what we can do with PureMVC in an Android native Java application. I was surprised that the existing single core version didn't have onRegister/onRemove methods over Mediator and Proxy objects. Those methods were present in the multicore version of the port. The single core version was older and some other minor fixes have to be made, so I proposed Cliff to update the existing single core version with the multicore.

I took the best of both world each time possible in code and structure following the last PureMVC best practices for project editing.

I suppose that Cliff Hall will update the single core Java as soon as possible with this update, but for the moment here are the files :